Feb 8, 2013

Recipe Roundup no. 1-meatloaf muffins!

Sometimes, you just want comfort food, even when you're trying to be healthier; and what is more satisfying than meatloaf? more specifically Paula Dean's most delicious meatloaf ever! "BUT" you say "Cassie, we're trying to eat lighter, and ground beef is not the way to go!" I got you covered, on pretty much, all the bases. I made Paula Dean's Old Fashioned Meatloaf with a few tweaks, and then I baked them in a muffin tin. They turned out moist and delicious, just like I'd expect Paula's to be. But with one change...PORTION CONTROL! each muffin is about 180 calories, so you can go off that as a guideline for your lighter eating selves.
I started by mixing: a pound of lean ground beef, 1 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/2-whole chopped onion, 1 egg lightly beaten and 1/2 cup large flake oats together in a medium mixing bowl, I used my hands to mix this part, you could also use a spoon, but it's more fun with your hands! For the topping I combined approximately: 2/3 cup of ketchup, 4 tbsp of brown sugar and about 2 tbsp of my favorite mustard President's Choice, sweet with heat.
Then i preset my oven to 400 farenheit, and greased my muffin tin, and added a bread crumb coating on the bottom, so they wouldn't stick and be easier to remove from the pan, this recipe yields about 12 mid size muffins, so don't overfill your muffin cups, just to about the half way-2/3 full mark. Then you can top the muffins with a heaping tsp of the topping and pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes on until you believe them done, you can check the status of them by cutting into one and checking to see if it's done (I checked mine by eating some :)) Voila! they are done and you have a very easy, delicious, meatloaf, made in about a fifth of the time it would take for a huge one, plus! These neatloaf muffins look way cute on the plate, and they have valuable portion control, for those like me who love food! Do you guys like these recipes Ive been posting? let me know, Ive got tonnes!

1 comment: